1. From your computer workstation, create a new text document called Certifi cations Lab #10.
2. Consider the following scenario:
While at your desk fi nishing up some work, your manager pops in to have a chat with you regarding
your current professional certifi cations. He encourages you to research and explore various professional
certifi cations in information systems security. An instructor discusses and shares various
professional certifi cations available in information systems security, auditing, and the management
sector. Finally, the instructor discusses how to map your information systems security career path by
following and obtaining various professional certifi cations recognized by the industry.
3. Launch your Web browser. In the address bar, type https://www.sans.org/8570/dod8570.pdf to open a
SANS Institute PDF about DoDâ€™s 8570 certifi cation. Browse the document. In your text document,
defi ne DoDâ€™s 8570.01 information assurance workgroup certifi cation.
4. Next you will research some information systems security careers. Change the Web address to http://
www.giac.org/. Move your cursor to the upper right of your screen over the word About to reveal
a menu. Download the Full GIAC Brochure that explains the available certifi cations with training
provided by the SANS Institute. In your text document, discuss two of these.
5. Change the Web address to http://www.giac.org/certifi cations/steps.php. Review the general certifi –
cation steps toward GIAC certifi cation offered by the SANS Institute. In your text document, outline
6. Change the Web address to http://www.giac.org/certifi cations/audit/. Review the GIAC Systems and
Network Auditor (GSNA) certifi cation and track offered by the SANS Institute for auditing.
In your text document, describe what the certifi cation and tracking are.
7. Change the Web address to www.SANS.edu:
a. Click on the MSISE box at the center of the page, or visit the Master of Science Degree in
Information Security Engineering page at http://www.sans.edu/academics/curricula/msise. In your
text document, discuss the Program Goals.
b. Click on the MSISM box toward the center of the page, or visit the Master of Science Degree in
Information Security Management page at http://www.sans.edu/academics/curricula/msism. In your
text document, discuss the Program Goals.
8. Change the Web address to https://www.isaca.org/Pages/default.aspx. This is the ISACA website. Review
the available certifi cations by moving your cursor over the Certifi cation tab toward the top of the page to
reveal the menu that shows the following:
a. CISA: Certifi ed Information Systems Auditor
b. CISM: Certifi ed Information Security Manager
c. CGEIT: Certifi ed in the Governance of Enterprise IT
d. CRISC: Certifi ed in Risk and Information Systems Control
In your text document, discuss each of these.
9. Change your Web address to https://www.isc2.org/. Click on the Certifi cations tab toward the top of the
(ISC)2 website to study the certifi cations available. In your text document, discuss each of these topics,
which youâ€™ll fi nd in the left-hand column on the page as well as along the top of the page:
a. Credentialing Process
b. Associate of (ISC)Â²
c. SSCP: Systems Security Certifi ed Practitioner
d. CAP: Certifi ed Authorization Professional
e. CSSLP: Certifi ed Secure Software Lifecycle Professional
f. CISSP: Certifi ed Information Systems Security Professional
Hands-On Steps 83
38412_LMxx_Lab10.indd 83 9/19/12 7:10 PM
10. Change the Web address to http://www.eccouncil.org/. Click the Certifi cation tab at the top of the
EC-Council website. Once on the EC-Council Certifi cation page, hold your cursor over the Certifi cation
tab to reveal a menu, scroll down to Certifi cation to reveal yet another menu, and choose one of the
certifi cation options that appears. In your text document, discuss two of these.
11. Write an executive summary outlining a career path that covers entry-level practitioner positions to
graduate-level positions. Include a description of what career path you would like to pursue with the
core information systems security foundation. In addition, align the professional certifi cations you
could pursue to the DoD 8570.01 certifi cation.
12. Submit the text document to your instructor as a deliverable for this lab.