Program: Metal Health Counseling
Locate the current ethical standards used by counseling professionals. Please include the ACA Code of Ethics as well as any standards from other professional organizations specific to your program (School Counseling, Mental Health Counseling, Addictions Counseling, Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy, Career Counseling).
- Describe where you found the standards (for example, a Web site, publication, and so on) and the date they were published. Include the full reference or link.
- How long ago were these ethical standards developed? Can you locate any information pertaining to the date for the next revision of these ethical standards and where they will be published? It is important for counseling professionals to have access to the most current versions of the ethical standards. How will you stay informed regarding any proposed updates to the ethical standards in the counseling profession?
Locate the laws regulating the practice of counseling in your state.
- Describe where you found these laws and include the link to the Web site.
- Where is information about new laws and pending legislation made available to counselors in your state? Include the full references to publications or links to Web sites where this information is provided.
- It is important for professional counselors to know when legislation that impacts their work is changing. How will you stay informed regarding proposed changes to current state laws that regulate the practice of counseling in your state?
Use the Locating and Integrating State Laws and Ethical Codes interactive in this unit’s study to complete the following:
- In the interactive form, select five issues that may arise in the type of setting in which you’ll be working.
- For each issue, identify whether your response to the situation would be guided by an ethical standard, a state law, or both. Identify where you located each standard or law that pertains to this issue in order to support the choice you have made.
- After you have completed the first steps, write a brief summary, in your own words, of the specific ethical standard or the specific state law that is relevant to each situation. You do not need to discuss what decision you would make in the situation; just describe the ethical standards or laws that you would consult to guide your actions.