Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Compliance Audit
Using the Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) model we discussed in Units I, II, and III, here you will address the “check” (C) and “act” (A) portion in this assignment.
Continuing with the scenario presented in the Unit VII Assignment (refer to Unit VII Assignment in the syllabus), you are now assuming the role of an OSHA compliance safety and health officer who has been assigned to perform an audit of the facility where the accident occurred. You have been asked to evaluate the company’s safety management system (SMS) to determine if there were any deficiencies in the system that could have caused the accident. You are required to prepare a summary of your audit process to evaluate the post-accident findings compliant with OSHA standards and also include the following information:
· identification of who would be involved in the opening and closing conferences,
· specific OSHA standards you would review to determine compliance (you must identify at least three standards and they must relate to the accident),
· specific items you would be looking for during your visit to determine compliance,
· development of a point of scoring system that you would use to evaluate the SMS, and
· recommended feedback you would provide to the company to help them improve their SMS (based on what you have learned in this course).
You are not required to use previously prepared work as the basis for your audit since your responses must be specific to the actual accident scenario in Unit VII (incident investigation exercise).
Your audit report should be at least two pages, not including the title and reference pages. You should include at least one outside source (e.g., OSHA standards) besides your textbook and any other pertinent resources as guidance. All supporting references and in-text citations must follow APA formatting guidelines.