In October 2012, changes were made in Medicare payment rules. Hospitals are now penalized when a patient returns within 30 days for treatment of the same problem. One of the targeted medical diagnoses for this payment change is heart failure (HF). Therefore, it is essential that the interdisciplinary team be utilized to ensure a safe transition between the acute care setting and home for the patient with HF.
Using APA format, write a six (6) to ten (10) page paper (excludes cover and reference page) that addresses the disease management needs of adult patients with HF for a safe transition between the acute care setting and home and the role of the interdisciplinary team in that transition.
A minimum of three (3) current professional references must be provided. Current references include professional publications or valid and current websites dated within five (5) years. Additionally, a textbook that is no more than one (1) edition old may be used.
The paper will consist of four (4) parts and must be submitted by the close of week 6.
Parts 1, 2, and 3 will focus on a disease management issue for the patient with HF and the role of the interdisciplinary team in this issue.
Part 4 is the evaluation of the effectiveness of the interdisciplinary team in this safe transition to home.
Part 1: Medication Adherence
Part 1 must include the following:
- Three (3) common classes of medications used to manage HF are beta adrenergic blockers, diuretics and ACE Inhibitors. Why are these medications used to manage HF?
- What are some common side effects of these classes of medications? Which of these side effects would be reported and why? Which side effects would not be reported and why?
- Describe any special instructions that would be included with each class of these medications. For example, food-drug interactions and medications that should be avoided.
- Which health care discipline, in addition to the RN, is best suited to help with medication adherence? How will this team member collaborate with the RN, the patient and the family to help promote medication adherence and a safe transition to home?
Part 2: Dietary Modifications
Part 2 must include the following:
- What is the role of diet in managing HF? What changes need to be made to the present diet? What role does culture play with diet?
- What obstacles might be encountered when informing the patient about the changes in diet?
- Which health care discipline, in addition to the RN, is best suited to help with dietary modifications? How will this team member collaborate with the RN, the patient and the family to help promote healthy eating and a safe transition to home?
Part 3: Physical Activity
Part 3 must include the following:
- What is the role of physical activity in managing HF?
- How would the RN promote adherence to a daily physical activity routine?
- Which health care discipline, in addition to the RN, is best suited to help with physical activity? How will this team member collaborate with the RN, the patient and the family to help promote physical activity and a safe transition to home?
Part 4: Evaluating the Effectiveness of the Interdisciplinary Team
Part 4 must include the following:
- In detail, describe how the effectiveness of the interdisciplinary team would be evaluated for assisting the patient with adherence to medication therapy, dietary modifications and a physical activity program to prevent readmission to the acute care setting.
Compose your work using a word processor (or other software as appropriate) and save it frequently to your computer. Use a 12 font size, double space your work and use APA format for citations, references, and overall format. Assistance with APA format, grammar, and avoiding plagiarism is available for free through the Excelsior College Online Writing Lab (OWL). Be sure to check your work and correct any spelling or grammatical errors before you submit your assignment.
You are required to submit your paper to Turnitin (a plagiarism prevention service) prior to submitting the paper in the course submission area for grading. Access is provided by email to the email address on record in your MyExcelsior account during week 2 of the term. Once you submit your paper to Turnitin check your inbox in Turnitin for the results. After viewing your originality report correct the areas of your paper that warrant attention. You can re-submit your paper to Turnitin after 24-hours and continue to re-submit until the results are acceptable. Acceptable ranges include a cumulative total of less than 15% for your entire paper, and no particular area greater than 2% (excluding direct quotes and/or references).